The World Through My Eyes

SELECT * FROM People WHERE Clue>0; 0 Rows Returned

Alexandra Wallace was not Deciplined by UCLA, but she Decided to Quit

Posted by mikenopolis on March 18, 2011

As much as I was offended by Alexandra Wallace’s video, I hate that people have harassed her to the point where she’s quitting UCLA http://ow.ly/4hEyD she already ruined her future. The least we can do is let her finish her last year. Why don’t the Asian community be “the bigger man” and get over it already. Remember the “sticks and stone can break my bones, but words will never hurt me”?

Alexandra. I’m Chinese, I will let this one go. Don’t throw away your future. Make a public apology and sincerely ask for people to forgive and forget. I’m sure you’ve learned your lesson

:::Posted Via iPhone:::

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Alexandra Wallace was not Deciplined by UCLA, but she Decided to Quit”

1. Cameron Andrews said

I doubt that you’re Chinese your racist pig. Why don’t Asian people get over it? You’re an ignorant fool. Shut your mouth idiot.

• mikenopolis said

So are you defending her or what? Your comment don’t make much sense. I did say the Asian community should get over it didn’t I? Why would I pretend to be Asian and defend her? And how is anything I said racist in any way? My message is clearly aim toward peace not the continuation of the argument.

Any way let me direct you to my post from 2004 https://mikenopolis.wordpress.com/2004/04/10/rip-william-aka-dad, my parents are clearly Chinese, unless I was adopted or something…if you type “Asian” in the search bar on my blog, you’ll see that I have quite a few post indicating my nationality.

• Micheal Hii said

The funny thing is, you yourself have probably mocked the asians one way or another quite similarly to the way Alexandra Expressed herself in that video (possibly worse). The only problem was that she youtube’d the whole thing and finally gave asians a reason to go all on out. I agree with Mikenopolis and i myself am born and raised asian. I’ve studied in Australia and am currently doing my uni in Canada and i can definitely tell you that you’re no more racist than Alexandra herself despite whatever reason you may have to defend yourself. Whatever she said was true but unfortunately some points were blatantly ignorant to a very huge extent. She may have gotten herself into trouble for what some may call ‘racism’, but do tell me, setting aside the fact that you don’t share your views to an entire mixed-cultured community and cuss between your friends at school, how offensive is Alexandra’s video to you?

• mikenopolis said

@Micheal Hii EXACTLY my point! I’m pretty sure I appear as racist if not more so than Ms. Wallace, but I do it in an enclosed environment. I know how older generation Asians can be. When I was in college I made all kinds of excuses so that my parents can’t/won’t visit me at the dorms or apartment on the weekends. Every time my parents spoke a bit too loud in a public place I pretended I didn’t know them. I hate myself for being Asian every time one of my “kind” drive badly and further confirm the Asian stereotype that we can’t drive. I occasionally make fun of every race when I’m with my close friends, we all know and see our comments as a joke, I have friends from most of the nationalities. It’s not hard living in diverse area which I think was one of her problems since she grew up in a place where there is a White majority. They call me “WonTon”, I call them “WonderBread”, etc. But at the end of the day, we have no problem with any race as a whole and WE have that understanding. An person outside looking in would not have found what we said funny at all! Like you said, her one mistake was YouTube.

The reason I said people should just let it go it because, really how much damage did she do? NONE. it’s not like she went to a Chinese temple and killed Asians. It’s just words, she did more damage to herself than to anyone else. Personally, the ONLY reason I found her video to be offensive was because I was brought up to view those comments as offensive. If she had made her rant and replaced the words [Asian] with [People], “[Ching Chong…] with [blah blah blah] we would’ve laughed about it and agreed with her. My blog is mostly rants about people and things I see in society that I deem negative but I do my best to keep ethnicity out of my posts as to not offend a nationality as a whole.

2. Cameron Andrews said

Hi,

I was peeved by Alexendra Wallace’s video because it clearly showed racial intolerance and insensitivity. How she mocked the way Asian people spoke and how she clumped all Asian’s into one race was completely ignorant. Being Asian means you are from a country that is part of the Asian continent, but clearly she did not understand that. Her statements about how Asians behave in the library, how we need to adopt “American manners” and how we can’t fend for ourselves clearly shows her hatred towards Asians. Further, the way she disregarded the devastation in Japan is deplorable.

Her video did not anger me so much as annoy me. However, I was incensed by the reaction to the reaction. Sure, death threats and other threats of violence should not be condoned. However, all of a sudden she became the victim and the scores of people who were offended by her words were the aggressors acting without merit.

If those comments were directed towards the black race, you can bet on it that UCLA officials would not have taken five days to respond to the matter. Further, the official decision that was handed down surely would not have been, “no action will be taken.” Many times over, I find myself envying the black race for the way they respond to matters of discrimination against their people. Black leaders and leaders of minority races have worked too hard towards the civil rights movement and they simply will not allow such ignorant acts of racism to take us steps back. Black people speak up and they speak out and their ability to be such a force to be reckoned with is commendable.

I have always wanted us to be able to do the same thing. To be able to step out of our role as the “model minority” and make some real noise when it matters. We never do, as Asians, we were taught to let everything slide to “save face” and honor family.

I didn’t think the Asian students at UCLA and those in the Asian community who found the comments made in the video offensive took much of a stand. I thought they should have made a bigger deal out of it to send a clear message that this type of racial intolerance has no place at UCLA, any other college campus, or any where else for that matter.

That is why I was absolutely angered when you said that Asians should just “get over it already.” That is the problem, we “get over it” all the time and that is why we are constantly mocked in the media and elsewhere.

I was upset by UCLA’s decision to not take action. I did not believe that her actions merited an action of expulsion, however, I felt that she definitely should have been suspended for one semester at the least. Officials needed to show that racial intolerance has no place at UCLA.

You’re right, in the end, she ended up hurting herself more than she hurt the people that she verbally attacked. From what I read, she has decided to withdraw from UCLA due to the overwhelmingly negative response to her comments. In closing, again, I don’t agree with you that we should just get over it. The reason why I wrote, “I doubt you’re Chinese”, is that the tone of your article sounded so condescending towards the Asian race. However, my words were necessarily harsh towards you and I apologize for that. My Vietnamese mother and Chinese father certainly did not raise their daughter to speak that way in a public forum or any other forum for that matter so again, I apologize.

3. Cameron Andrews said

I meant to write unnecessarily harsh not necessarily harsh.

4. mikenopolis said

Thanks for clearing that up and double thanks for the apology. My view of this is simple, it’s like choosing to side with a person’s death penalty vs. life imprisonment, I will always side with the non-death side of the penalty. Sadly there was no life imprisonment option here…worst, not even a slap on the wrist option.

I would have liked UCLA or the UC Regents to have taken disciplinary actions and their failure to do so was extremely disappointing. The reason I said “we” should let it go was because I feel the response she has received from everyone is already worth a lifetime of punishment as it is. It is not because I think she did nothing wrong or because I’m the stereotypical quiet and reserve type of Asian.

Your suggesting of a one quarter suspension was a great idea. I personally would have liked for her to spend a quarter doing community service, attending cultural/ethnic studies course and learning from her mistakes.

5. Cameron Andrews said

Hi,

Thanks for so graciously accepting my apology. Also, thanks for clarifying your initial posting. I’m not quite sure why I was so miffed by it to begin with. Perhaps my anger stemmed from the fact that I came across your site immediately after I read UCLA’s official response to the matter. Perhaps I should have directed my obscenities towards the decision makers at UCLA instead. I’m kidding. Half way. Nah, I’m really kidding.